I have two beautiful boys, 11 and 8 who keep me busier than I ever thought I could be. With the Thanksgiving break upon us (I swear we never had this much vacation when I was in school) I thought I would reflect on the various reasons I am thankful to have them:
1. Thanks to my children, I am developing my short order cook skills. No one likes the same thing, so I have become very good at cooking three separate meals at the same time.
2. Thanks to these two boys, I have become an expert in laundry. I am so thankful that they wear approximately 3 outfits every single day and put everything on the floor. That way I can find it when I need to do laundry (which is every day).
3. I am thankful that my 11-year old knows more than I do and he isn’t even a teenager yet. This morning he walked into the kitchen and this is the first thing that came out of his mouth:
“Did you know that the tectonic plates move at the same rate our fingernails grow, 8 cm per year?”
I am serious, that is what he said. I don’t even know if that is true and had to look up the spelling of ‘tectonic’.
4. They keep me in a routine. If I didn’t have to say 10 times every morning and night “BRUSH YOUR TEETH”, I might forget myself.
5. They keep my negotiating skills sharp. While I am not currently working as a lawyer, I negotiate more with them than ANYONE else I have ever had to deal with.
- Take three more bites. Take one more bite.
- Ok, fine, you can go to bed smelly but you have to shower in the morning.
- No, you can’t have 5 Rice Crispie Treats. You may have one. If you are still hungry, you have to have something healthy.
- No, you may not buy a toy at Target, that is not why we are here. Fine, you can get some candy on the way out.
- No, you can’t have pizza for all of your meals today, but you may have it for one meal, you pick.
- You may each occupy the video game machine for 30 minutes. I will set a timer and when it goes off, you guys have to switch.
- It is now getting cold out, you may not wear shorts and a sleeveless shirt to school. One half of you has to be covered. You pick ~ pants or a long sleeved shirt.
- Eat 5 more bites of your dinner and you can be done. 45 minutes later…fiiiinnneee, have 3 bites.
6. I am thankful that they are still getting up in the middle of the night. It keeps me sharp. While the boys normally sleep through the night, every once in a while, they like to remind me what it is like to wake up and have to act immediately without thinking or actually waking up.
7. I get to see what it is like to be a bus driver. Oh wait, I am a parent. Then why do I spend most of my time transporting them all over the county?
8. I am super thankful they begged me for months to get this dog because they take such great care of her. (that was a joke, they spend approximately 30 seconds with her each day).
9. It is awesome to see them getting bigger and become more grown up. Now, when they get into an argument, there is always a physical altercation that ends with one child injured.
10. I love how inexpensive it is to have kids in sports. At the beginning of the soccer and football season, I spent over $200 in the athletic store buying crap for sports. That is a new record.
In case you didn’t notice, I am letting off a little steam this week. Note to self: lobby to have the kids in school more often and/or plan fabulous vacation for next break.
If I am being truthful (and not trying to be funny), I love these boys more than anything in the whole world. It is truly like seeing your heart walking outside your body every single day. I would do anything for these boys and feel blessed that they are mine. I really am a thankful (and tired) Proud Working Mom!